Monday, November 17, 2008

A good dose of humility

I was reminded while reading Maya Angelou's new book, Letter to My Daughter, that a healthy dose of humility is in order in my life.
I fell clean head over feet first today onto a bench as I was walking in one direction and fussing at kids in another. Smash! I now have big bruises on my legs and a few scrapes and an achy knee to show for my Monday. I should have kept my mouth shut and allowed the person trying to take care of it to handle it...
Humility.

Our wireless is not doing what it should be. I am taking it in stride. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I just have to remember that we are growing, shaping, moving in sort of an amoebus blob...it's not all going to go smoothly and I don't know best all of the time.

And lastly, humility again...I can't do it all. I am juggling a few too many things as a result of my interest and excitement rather than my realistic energy and ability to follow through. I am back to basics with trying to play catch up and not appear worse the wear for it. It is tough. Teaching can be like that I guess but today did not give me many opportunities for reflection and growth. It was more like eating a ridiculously large bowl of pudding, tiny spoonful by tiny spoonful until you're full and then over-filled and yet still eating. I'm just realizing how much I've taken on and I'm overwhelmed. So the humble me is stepping back and taking account. Tomorrow I have to make a list and get to work on getting through it. And I have to watch where I'm walking and let people help me when they are able so I don't go flying over any more benches.
Ouch.

No comments: