Sunday, November 2, 2008

an Education in Communication

Work and life are so inextricably linked. I definitely appreciate the convenience that technology offers. I think that the benefits outweigh the detriments when it comes to enhancing communication. We have come up with solutions for communicating announcements, newsletters, emergencies, grades, assignments, etc...to our students and parents. I think with every new development comes the need for a re-evaluation of communication. We should be evaluating whether we are depending so much on the new tool that we are forgetting how effective human contact truly is.

Case in point (referring to my first sentence), I'm trying to finance the purchase of my husband's car. I had the option of applying online with the promise of a 24 hour response. 96 hours later, no response. I finally contacted them through a site they provide for tracking the status and then 24 hours from then, I had a response that they tried to contact me and left a message "to no avail". To no avail?!? Talk about NO MESSAGE on any of my three numbers,no email in my inbox, no follow through, no help. And they cancelled the application. Now I have to call THEM. The supposed convenience of applying online left me with more questions than answers and there was no easy way to get my questions answered. It's a case of poor communication and ineffective follow-through.

As educators, we have to be aware that even though the convenience is there, sometimes the best thing to do is check on the customer and make sure that everything is working splendidly from their point of view. Hurray for progress but don't forget the customer and that sometimes we need the human contact.

No comments: